Saturday, June 24, 2017

Day 48 – Pilgrim's Mass, Cathedral Sights, and Santiago

Here we are, in the middle of the plaza,
ready to attend the Pilgrim's Mass.

These stone plaques are at the center. Neat.

Front door of the Catedral de Santiago.

This is Lynna's favorite alcove in the church.
To see Jesus holding this little boy touched her
heart, because Max is in the arms of Jesus, too. 

Another alcove, including a statue of Mary.

This is the crypt and silver box where
the relics of St. James reside. 

Video, descending into the vault.

The tradition is for pilgrims to hug the upper
bust of this St. James statue. The photo doesn't 
 do it justice. It's quite ornate, with huge jewels.

Dave, getting ready to hug the statue of St. James.

Dave, coming out of upper room.

St. James the Pilgrim in the Cathedral,
a simple and beautiful piece of art.

Inside the main church hall, readying the
Botafumeiro, which releases smoke that
in ancient days was used as fumigation
of the pilgrims after their long travels.

Getting ready to clear the air. The smoke is
 a combination of charcoal and incense. 

The botafumeiro is suspended from a pulley in 
the dome, made of brass and bronze, plated in
silver. Only used now for important occasions.
It is the largest censer in the entire world.

The central column of the Portico de Gloria.
You can no longer place your hand in the tree of
Jesse, due to erosion. We couldn't get close to it.

Just taking a break to rest the bruised 
and worn-out little puppies in the plaza.

Our friends from Hungary.

The Camino has given us many things, but
none better than our dear friends from all
over the world, especially New Zealanders, 
Marg, Wendall, Linda and Dean. 

Our Irish pals, at the local bar, of course.
And in their honor, an old Irish blessing,
extended to all the great people we've met:

"May the road rise up to meet you;
May the wind always be at your back;
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again, may God
hold you in the palm of His hand."

Tomorrow we will visit Finisterre, 
once thought to be the "end of the world."
Many pilgrims travel there to complete
their Camino experience. And so, we go. 

A story from Dave:
Back on Day 38, when we were in Triacastela, there was a limestone quarry outside of town. The limestone was used in the building of the Cathedral of Santiago. Medieval pilgrims would carry as much as they could to the limestone kilns in Castaneda (about 30 miles). At the kilns, the limestone was fired to a high temperature, creating lime that was used as mortar in the building of the Cathedral. This process has been on my mind as I prepare my story for today.

Entering the Plaza del Obradoiro in Santiago was an emotional experience for me; so many thoughts and feelings ran through my mind. It is difficult to describe all of these, so I will list them as best I can:

*Happy to have accomplished the hike and be able to return to my family and home, but sad to be done with this very interesting and enjoyable experience.
*Sad to say goodbye to the beauty and history of the country, its people, and its culture.
*Already missing the friendships made daily with other pilgrims along the way. So many were an inspiration, and some were angels when I needed help.
*Already missing all of the opportunities to help others along the Camino.
*Already missing being with a great friend every day who, for his example of friendship and kindness to me and many others, will never be forgotten.
*Still missing the feeling of carrying those rocks with the names of my family on them that I left at Cruz de Ferro. Thinking and focusing every day on a family member as I carried his or her rock in my hand or pocket was special for me. From this, I hope I will be a better husband, father, and grandfather. I have missed them all very much and can't wait to be with them again.
*Sorry to bid farewell to our cheering section in the form of comments and support from friends following us on FB and our blog. You really kept us going through the tough times. We didn't want to let you down!
*Grateful for the wonderful spiritual experiences that touched my heart. I will miss the spirit of the Camino greatly.
*NOT missing the bad blister and torn hamstring, but I guess that's just a part of the challenges we all face in our various journeys. I will remember this pilgrimage as a uniquely meaningful one and treasure it forever.

Like the limestone that was changed by fire and used to build something beautiful, I know this experience has changed me. I hope I will take this opportunity to make my life and the lives I touch more beautiful. 

A story from Mike:
Entering the plaza at Santiago de Compostela after walking the Camino in its entirety has been a dream of mine for 18 years, ever since I first arrived in this square in late May of 1999. I am so happy for my family, my sweet Lynna, my sister Ann, our grandson Max, Sue, Dave, and all who helped to make this dream a reality. I thank you with all my heart. But most of all, I am grateful to the Lord, for His generosity in providing me with a strong and willing body, a clear mind to stay out of trouble, and a willing spirit to feel and desire this journey.

In early May, Dave and I received a stamp at the pilgrim's office in the quaint French village of St. Jean Pied de Port. We then climbed the Pyrenees over a 4,275-foot summit and proceeded to slowly walk west along a trail traveled over the years by millions of pilgrims seeking heavenly insights, inspiration, restitution, sometimes forgiveness, but always hope for the inner, divine direction and clarity of soul that connects us to our Lord. When I arrived in Santiago and could see the Cathedral steeple, hear the opera singer in the stairway, and finally walk onto the plaza with the Cathedral on the left, my emotions were overpowering. I couldn't speak. I turned around in tears to hug my hiking mate, Dave. who traveled this journey filled with highs and lows, but always beside me (a true friend, a soulmate.)

We received our Compostela for completion and one certificate for distance. It states, "799 kilometers," and we traveled every step. Almost every day was filled and almost every step taken in the hope of becoming closer to my Creator, my Savior, who has given me everything. I have walked with desire to become closer to Annie and to let her know of my deep love for her and to make myself available unconditionally to her. I have walked for Max, trying to understand and overcome our deep sorrow for Melissa and Fidel's loss, reminding myself that we will reunite forever, in God's time. And I have walked because I can. Thank you.

I have learned the patience of the step-upon-step, one-turns-into-two-turns-into-three-steps action that finally brings us to desired destinations. One hill, one valley, one little village at a time, the destination is achieved, often with a measure of surprise at its arrival. We did it. I was laying this morning in the Santiago Parador in the plaza next to the Cathedral, and I heard the bells ringing-in another day. So simply, it chimed out six bells. I had to quickly shower and walk the square, calm and peaceful, knowing that today I DO NOT have to walk the Camino, just reminisce about our days' journeys. Thank you. Thank you all.

One final note: If you have enjoyed our adventure and if you have the means, please go to the end of our blog and contribute however much you are able. It will be used to help people with real-life challenges, like the loved ones in both Dave's and my families. Thank you so much. Buen Camino.

click below if you wish to donate

1 comment: