Saturday, June 3, 2017

Day 26 – Laboring on to Leon

Before leaving Mansilla, Dave took one
 long. last, longing look at that big trout.
(now dubbed El Señor)

Farewell, Mansilla de las Mulas!

We enjoyed our stay.

This is where the two ways of the Camino meet.

Large home with ruins surrounding it.

River and scenic views – video bomber Dave.
(Don't you love those birds singing?)

Snuck up on some patches of red poppies.

It's good to see them wave to us again!

Dave on the Meseta, heading for Leon.

Mike, gazing down upon the Rio Porma.

The Rio Porma, a lovely sight to see.

Puente del Castro, home of the storks!

Check those critters out! Huge!!

Coming into Leon at last. Great city.

Ancient walls in Leon's old town.

One of many churches in old town.

A look inside this neat old building.

Here's the name and info on the exterior wall.

Our lady friends from Mansilla...
(New name: Womansilla.)
Fresh from DC, Seattle, Holland, Norway.

Catedral de Santa Maria de Leon.

A little video flavor.
(Note that Mike is attempting a Spanish accent.)

Attending pilgrim's mass at the Cathedral tomorrow.
Also found an LDS church to attend!

Can't go inside today, as there's a wedding.
Hoping to get some interior pics later.

Our hotel, from across the Plaza.

Tonight's accommodations.
It is our one night of luxury.

Lobby of our beautiful hotel.
Time out for a day of pampering.

Lovely view just off the lobby.

On the way to our rooms.
(This place used to be a convent.)

Not too shabby, eh?

And this is Dave's view, complete 
with magical maze garden!

Went to a restaurant that Mike's brother,
Jake, suggested: Bogeda Regina. Loved it!

Dave's fish soup was to-die-for.

Dave's cheesecake and vanilla ice cream.
Mike forgot to photograph the sirloin,
which was a pretty big misteak! So punny.

A wonderful meal at this family-owned eatery:
run by Dad, cooked by Mom, served by their son.
Thanks for the great tip, Jake!

Flashback! We were younger and unafraid,
 atop the Pyrenees.

Layover in Leon tomorrow!

A story from Dave:
We ate dinner last night with three of the women pictured below. The one on the far right with a blue coat hails from Bergen, Norway, the city where my paternal grandmother (Judith Jensine Jensen Anderson) was born in 1887. Our Norwegian friend had a few questions about Grandma's name, so I opened my Ancestry.com app to show her my family tree. She was excited to see my heritage portrayed in this way and recognized many traditional Norwegian names. I told her my grandmother left Norway as a young girl to marry my grandfather. Because they were poor, she was never able to return to see her family again. Our Norwegian dinner guest, who had an unpronounceable name (for me, anyway), described the city of Bergen with considerable enthusiasm, saying that I must visit there to see my relatives. She also mentioned a pilgrimage in Norway near Bergen, which has a climate like Seattle. It sounds appealing. For many years, I've felt a need to reconnect with my Norwegian family on behalf of my extended family in the US, no member of which (to my knowledge) has ever returned to the homeland. Sounds like my inner Viking is calling me to come Home!


A story from Mike: 
Our fifth day on the Meseta was long and straight and hot and fairly boring. This middle phase of our journey reminded me that there are two things going on with us every day: (1) what is on the outside, and (2) what is on the inside. The outside, we cannot change. The Camino has been a path for over 1,000 years of pilgrims, most of whom walk it with the goal of crossing Spain and reaching the other side. The weather, of course, cannot be altered. It is what it is. Rain may fall; wind may blow. It might be stormy or sunny. We are not in charge and can only accept what is offered us. The road lies outside of our control as well. It may be rocky with big boulders, paved in asphalt, cobbled with stone, covered in nice gravel or soft dirt. The conditions are not up to us. Again, it is only on the inside that we can exert control. As I walked today, I felt a closeness to those who have walked before, those who walk today, and Dave...who has walked beside me now for 26 days. So many pilgrims with different needs, challenges, and hardships...hundreds of thousands before me, with many more to come in the future.

Today, my feet hurt more than they have so far. Somewhere along the road from Mansilla to Leon, I developed a big bone bruise, but my mind told me to just keep putting one foot in front of the other until I reached Leon. I didn't want to accept the disappointment of catching a cab. I kept thinking of my wonderful wife, Lynna, who lives with constant pain each and every day of her life. Yet, in all our pictures and all our situations, she continues to smile. She does not let the pain ruin her plans                                                                                 or steal her opportunity to be with the grandkids; her attitude is predictably positive. Quite simply, Lynna refuses to dwell upon the heartaches and challenges. When shadows fall, she looks up and finds the sun. When darkness envelops, the moon and stars are hers. This is a good way to live, because none of us can control the outside elements that impact us every day and throughout our lives. What we can control is our attitude, how we look at things, and how we let the events of the day affect us. It's not what life does to us that is important; it's what we do with what life does to us that really matters.

Click below to support suicide prevention
and mental health, the causes Mike and Dave 
are championing with their walk.

2 comments:

  1. So many great things, for me to comment on, in this post!

    First, Bishop I bet you wanted to jump into the water to catch el Señor!

    Next, I love seeing the poppies. For some reason they give the feel of good luck on your journey.

    The Rio Porma looks peaceful and beautiful. I would love to see it someday.

    Once again I get to see the trees. These ones look like they are trying to reach for each other. Maybe some day they will be able to intertwine one with another and become stronger.

    Being able to attend Mass and LDS services sounds like a double bonus.

    LOVE the hotel/convent such beautiful design especially the maze garden view. Just beautiful!

    I'm also grateful for your stories. Bishop, about ancestors and returning "home". I've been skiing some genealogy work and it make me very happy to find them and prepare to do their work for them.
    Mike, I am teaching this Sunday. I am one of the Sunday school gospel doctrine teachers; today's lesson is on the plan of salvation. I hope you are okay with me sharing part of your story. I feel very strongly that it gives the perfect feel for the section on mortal life.

    I am so grateful to be able to read your posts and "travel" in this journey with both of you. (And Sue, thanks for posting and sharing XO)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful and meaningful comment, Clarissa. I know the guys will love reading it, and I'm sure Mike is happy to have you share whatever you like today at church. Buen Camino! <3

      Delete