Sunday, June 18, 2017

Day 41 – Fathers Are Forever...Grandpas, Too!


Happy Father's Day to the Dynamic Duo, aka the Camino Crusaders. You are our heroes!

For Mike:

The Harris Family says:
Annie: Vroom (Grandpa) is a finisher! A couple of years go, he walked parts of the Camino, but now he is doing the whole thing. He taught me that it is important to finish what you start!
Will: Vroom sets a good example to me of how I want to live my life. He is friendly and talks to all people!
Katie: Vroom is funny! He has a quick sense of humor that always makes me laugh!!
Jeffrey: Vroom is always teaching me...how to be a better teammate, family member, and person! He is always at my games and teaching me how to get better.
Alisha: Dad has great courage and determination to do what his heart tells him. He is the most generous and friendly person and would give all that he has to a complete stranger, who really would not be a stranger after a minute with him. He sees into people's hearts and lifts them up...spreads happiness and goodness!
Scott: Mike is one of the most generous people I have ever met! He also loves technology, and I love helping him.

The (Chip) Taylor Family says:
Dax: I miss Grandpa, and he is a super good hiker. Can't wait for Yosemite and hiking to the lake!
Mayzie: My grandpa is really strong to be able to do this Camino thing.
Bean: I am super excited to see Grandpa at Yosemite. I love him and am proud of him.
Redd: Can't wait to play football!
Chandler: We are proud of him, and the Camino is a great accomplishment. He is having the time of his life!
Chip: Dad is the type of guy that would give the shirt off his back even though it meant he didn't have one. I will always be grateful that he didn't kill me after totaling two cars! He is such a great example to my family.

The Astorga Family says:
Taylor: I love everything about Grandpa, and he plays ball with me. I miss him. He is as handsome as me.
Michael: I think he is funny and kind and fun to go to the park with me. He surprises us. I hope he teaches me to play golf. Because he looks just like me.
Abby: I love my grandpa because he plays with me and because he loves me. I want to see him!
Melissa: I love that he is my dad and my friend. I really appreciate everything he does for me and my family. He is so thoughtful. Hurry home!

The (Johnny) Taylor Family says:
Crosby: Thank you for being a great grandpa and inviting us to parties and paying for Yosemite.
Truman: Thank you for coming to Michigan!
Iris: Thank you for coming to our house. Thank you for being such a nice grandpa and giving us nice things. And you make the best breakfast!!
Johnny: I love my dad. He is a hero on many levels. Top of the attribute list is his love of people. He has a genuine interest in people and connects personally with their soul. He understands spiritual priorities and has matured his relationship with Heavenly partners. He hits a power fade with the best of them. Don't touch his feet or hair.

Annie Taylor says:
Our father was.....
Human
Vulnerable
Strong
Kind
Nurturing
Tough
Giving
Awesome
.....you are just like him.

Happy Father's Day big bro.

Lynna Taylor says:
Happy Father's Day, Mike, to a great dad who has always put his whole heart into his family. As in other areas of your life, you have been a dad with kindness, generosity, and humor. You are a good friend and partner in all the craziness of life. Thanks, buddy. Have a great day! We miss you tons. Can't wait to see you at YMR!

The Taylor Clan
Grandpa (Mike) and little Abby.

For Dave:

The Anderson Family says:
Matt: Hey, Dad. Happy Father's Day. I love you and thank you for being so strong and supportive in my life and the lives of my own family.
Heather: Dad, it's crazy to think we have been related for about 20 years! But you have always made me feel like family and feel welcomed, loved and supported. When I met you, I didn't have a lot of good male father-figure type role models, and it was so nice to meet a trustworthy guy I could look up to. Your unwavering support of your loved ones always leaves me in awe. You are strong and find the courage to press on when so many others would give up. Your quiet love is felt and treasured by all who know you, and I am honored to call you Dad (and father-in-law). I feel so lucky to have married a man who has you as an example of how to be a loving and supportive husband and dad. My kids are blessed to have you as their grandpa. I am so glad you got to take  this journey and hike through Spain. I hope you enjoy your Father's Day and know you are loved! PS. Thanks for the cute post card about chocolate! xoxo
Jeremiah: Grandpa, you are a great father/grandfather to everyone in the Anderson clan. I fondly remember you taking me on adventures to find treasure and battle the Boa trees. Not only this, but you are a great role model in the way you live your life. Every day you give your family the courage to "Stand sure." Love you. 
Carli: Happy Father's Day, Grandpa! I always love spending time with you and solving/telling riddles to each other. You are such a fun and happy person all the time, and I enjoy going places with you or just talking to you. You always have a smile on your face, which spreads to everyone in the room. Just talking to and being around you can always make me happy. I love our talks, and Christmas is the best up at your house. I have so many memories of all the treasure hunts we went on from the magic tree that I will never forget. You are an amazing role model for everyone, and I love you. Have a great Father's Day!
Bryce: Hi, Grandpa. Happy Father's Day! You are the best grandpa ever, and I love hanging out with you!

The Valdez Family says:
Bobby: What I admire most about you is the creativity you naturally apply when approaching activities. The special bond you have with Karin is so evident when you two are together. The way Karin loves, respects, and cherishes you is what I hope to earn with my children. The way my Alcide and Melina look at you when you walk into a room is proof of the quality father and grandfather you are.
Karin, Alcide, and Melina: Thanks for being the greatest Dad and Grandpa ever! I am so blessed to be able to call you Dad. I have always loved bragging to people about my father being the greatest dad in the world. My kids think you are the best grandpa ever, too. Melina always talks about her "papa" and how you fly the banana in your videos. Of course, she makes the noise to go along with it. Whenever she hears an airplane, Melina will tell anyone around that her papa went on the plane. She can't stop talking about Papa, and making juice with Papa, and what fun she will have when you get back. Alcide loves watching the videos you send us and gets huge smiles on his face every time he sees you in them. He also loves making the airplane noise and pointing to the sky for you. And he thinks it's the best thing in the world when you make him fly! Thanks for all you do for us. We love and miss you so much and can't wait for you to be back home. So proud of you.

Ryan Anderson says:
I can't help but be glad you are out in Spain on Father's Day, as it saves me the expense and effort of buying and BBQing dinner! I've been able to think a lot about your hike, as I have been reading the blog. It has made me appreciate the mutual interest we have in experiencing nature and enjoying the outdoors. (I'm a bit jealous of your trip, actually.) I am forever grateful for the introduction you gave me to camping/backpacking as a youth and look forward to more trips over the upcoming years. After hiking 500 miles, you are not allowed to play the age card for at least another decade. Thanks for always being there and supporting me in my goals. Happy Father's Day. I love you!

Todd Anderson says:
Happy Father's Day, Dad. Thanks for all you've done for me over the years and for what you are trying to accomplish with this trip. It's a good cause, and there needs to be more understanding about mental illness. By the way, you are still pretty tough, for an old guy.

Sue Anderson says: 
One of the most important things a woman can do for her children is to choose their father well. I can say with 100% certainty that I got that job done. In fact, I rocked it! There is no father more loyal, protective, and dedicated to his children than you are. You make sacrifices for them as if it were easy, pouring your time and love into each one freely. Thanks to you, they have a security and stability that I never had with my dad, and I am so grateful. With you in our corner, we all feel a little bit safer and more loved. (Well, actually, a lot safer and a lot more loved.) Thanks, Dave. And Happy Father's Day! xox
PS. Your grandchildren adore you.
Alcide and Melina 
Dave's son Matt and darling granddaughter Carli

Click below to support suicide prevention
and mental health, the causes Mike and Dave
are championing with their walk.

1 comment: