Friday, June 16, 2017

Day 38 – Uphill to O'Cebreiro, Downhill to Triacastela


This is the one photo the guys were able to send
me of Day 37 on Wednesday. When they got to
 O'Cebreiro, the internet pretty much shut them 
down! So, here's a recap of their glorious climb 
into O'Cebreiro. Let's call it Day 38A. Day 38 B,
of course, is the downhill trek into Triacastela!

So get your seatbelts on.
We have 2 days of ground to cover.

This is how Mike felt the O'Cebreiro morning:
Heading up the trail, leaving a trail.

Departing Las Herrerias, we came to the fountain
"Fuentes de Auinones," of Don Quixote fame. No
doubt he had a drink here, defending his honor.

Mike leads the way on a downhill stretch
before we head up and up. Doesn't seem fair!

The first uphill of our 2000-foot climb. Whew!

We are 1/3 of the way up the hill and drenched.
Great view!

Oh, boy. So ready for a nice, quiet drink
and a banana to regain our strength.

Mike is a "cowherd" and wouldn't
get in front of the stampede!

Somebody left a pair of shoes again!
They blend in so well there on the right.

Panorama view, almost up to O'Cebreiro.

We are now entering Galacia, a spiritual spot!

Just about to turn the corner into O'Cebreiro.


Almost there!

Finally making it to the landing!

This is the little village and shops.

Candle lighting.

This is the chalice from the O'Cebreiro chapel
Mike wrote of Wednesday when the internet 
rendered accompanying pics impossible.

This is believed to be the original chalice,
though there are many chalices around the
world that claim to be the original. But
we are kind of voting for the O'Cebr one!

Candle lighting in Iglesia de Santa Maria Real.

Picture of Jesus in a side room.

Another great selfie. 
Dave's hair blowin' in the wind.

Malin, from Sweden, was in this 
exact spot three years ago.

Monica and Lily, a cute mother and daughter
from Boca. They are on the "tour de flan" with
us. They are Galician and excited to be here.

Last of the O'Cebreiro pics – our hotel.
(The Triacastela ones begin with this witch.)

Which way should we get down the hill?
Broom or walk?

Robert and Jacqueline have been with us all 
week, great travelers. Robert loves the uphills.
Jackie, a concert pianist, is looking to play Bach.

It's a foggy day.

Dave explains the fog as only Dave can.
Islands in the Sky!

A mom and two daughters from McMinnville,
Oregon, where Lynna and Mike went to college.
They are Jenny, Roxanne, and Nikki.

Same three, having some refreshments to
push them up that big hill ahead!

The terrain has changed back 
to beauty and flowers.

Just over Mike's head is where we began
this morning.

We are whipped after a very steep uphill.
Enjoying a Fanta and Coke Zero.

The fog is rolling to meet us as we walk
down the mountain. Pretty neat.

Heading down 3200 feet. My poor toes!
Meet Caiha, Robison, Rachel, and
Elaine from Dunigual, Ireland.

Abigail, Paul, and May from Marathon, 
Florida. A dad and his two daughters.

Backwards and forwards, we are headed downhill.

First sights of Triacastela.

]
Tonight's fine dining.

The lady is in charge!

A story from Dave:
Yesterday, as we were walking up the mountain to O'Cebreiro, we came upon a marker indicating that we were crossing into the area of Galicia. Santiago, our final destination, is the capital of Galicia. The mountains we are in are the first object in 3,000 miles that the western winds coming across the Atlantic hit, so we will expect many days of changeable weather like thunderstorms, rain and fog as we walk over high places and through deep, river valleys. The countryside is similar to western Ireland and the Cletic lands, and we have heard Celtic music, including bagpipes. There are also many cultural and language similarities, indicating migration to this area of Spain by the Celtic and Scottish people.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, we hiked up to the 4,700-foot high city of O'Cebreiro. Today, we started down the mountain, and I recalled the saying by J. C. Mezzomo – "If you want to reach the top of the mountain, you must proceed calmly, step by step." We know that we are in for a real treat these last 100 miles, as we cross this beautiful area, step by step. As we close in on our destination, however, I suspect it will be increasingly difficult to step calmly!


A story from Mike:
We had a great day hiking down from O'Cebreiro. It was a perfect trail – slow downhill with a good, small, graveled trail. We enjoyed weaving down the countryside at an easy pace, so as to not hurt the toesies and feet. I just received this essay from my sister, for whom I have the greatest respect and love. She has struggled many years with depression, and when she sends this to our blog, we need to listen. We all have friends that are struggling, so let's take a moment and hear what Ann thinks is important:

5 Things Not to Say to Someone Who's Suicidal – and What to Say Instead
By Tina Szymczak

All my life I've battled severe depression. On numerous occasions, I've been suicidal. It's a horrible thing for all involved. Here are some of the most unhelpful (and helpful!) things I've been told during these times.

1. Don't tell me, "God doesn't give us more than we can handle." 
First off, you don't know what my belief system is. Perhaps I don't believe in God. Or maybe I do, but the pain does feel like more than I can handle. I'm the one dealing with it. I'm the one who has to wake up and face each day. If God dealt me this hand intentionally, it feels like He made a mistake –– There are days I truly feel like I can't deal with it. When you say something like that, it makes me feel ashamed.

Say instead: "I understand you might be thinking of suicide. I will do everything in my power to get you the help you need." And then actually do it. Make calls to a doctor or therapist. Take control of an out-of-control situation.

2. Don't tell me: "Just think of your family. Aren't your children and spouse enough?"
I love my family with all my heart. When i'm feeling suicidal, I actually think I would be sparing them the pain that is me. Saying something like this makes me feel guilty, but not better.

Say instead: "Your family loves you no matter how you feel inside." Talk to me about my family in general - What are the kids into? What do my husband and I enjoy doing together? Remove the guilt and focus on the positives. 

3. Don't tell me: "Things will be different tomorrow. " 
You don't know that – don't tell me things that sound nice but aren't necessarily true. The truth is I might feel 100 times worse tomorrow. 

Say instead: "Let's take this a minute at a time." Instead of making false promises, remind me to live just one minute – or one second – at a time. Tell me that while you don't know what tomorrow will bring, you'll always be there. Offer to sit with me and help pass the time. Let's watch a movie or some other mind-numbing activity. Every minute I stay is a step toward recovery.

4. Don't tell me: "You're being selfish." 
Wow. Just, wow. How is that helpful? A person who's suicidal is in insurmountable pain. if wanting someone to notice me and sit by my side while I fight my inner demons is selfish, then so be it. 

Say instead; "I want to help you." Tell me I'm not a burden to you or my friends and family. Tell me you'll be with me every step of the way and really mean it. Ask me what I need.

5. Don't tell me: "Just snap out of it." 
The absolute worst thing to say, ever. Depression is a very real medical diagnosis. Would you tell someone with cancer or diabetes to "snap out of it?" Believe me, if "snapping out of it" were a possible solution, I'd do it.

Say instead: "I know what you're going through is real." 

If you're feeling suicidal, reach out to friends, family or a doctor – someone to walk on the road to recovery with you. Get help when you need it. Don't just say it; do something.

∞§∞

You might consider passing this article on to loving friends. I know Dave and I greatly appreciate your ongoing love and support. Thanks for your likes and comments on FB and the blog. We so enjoy them. In fact, they kinda make our day!

Ann and Mike
 Click below to support suicide prevention
and mental health, the causes Mike and Dave
are championing with their walk.

1 comment:

  1. Mike, I'm so glad you didn't collapse.

    The rolling fog was beautiful! Makes me think of the San Francisco mountain in the evening.

    Mike, I really appreciate you sharing your sisters essay. Many people need to hear it.

    ReplyDelete