Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Sue's Take on the Camino

A man who walks with God always reaches his destination.

Admittedly, I am just one of the wives in this endeavor (Dave's wife, to be exact), but since I will be helping out with the upkeep of this blog while the guys are on their long walk across Spain, maybe it's okay for me to say a few words now and again. I hope so, because I might not be able to resist!

Part of what appeals to me about Dave and Mike's undertaking is their eagerness to make this walk mean something. Today I ran across Trail to Peak, a wonderful blog by Drew Robinson. He describes his experience on the Camino de Santiago path as a "transformative" one, and I know my husband and his buddy are looking for similar opportunities to learn and progress spiritually on this trip.

I have been touched to see that their main focus is not on themselves but on the people they love. My husband is "carrying" his loved ones with him in the form of small rocks inscribed with our names, intending to leave each one at a meaningful place along the way. Together, these stones weigh five pounds, but he feels that bearing that extra weight will be not a burden, but a blessing. Dave actually got the idea from Mike, who is likewise focused on friends and family as he makes this trip. I happen to know he will be placing a rock or two of his own. :)

I love the intention of their Camino walk, honoring the people they care about most, but the guys have taken this idea even a step further. The two of them are dedicating their journey to suicide prevention and improved treatment for mental illness, issues with personal meaning in their lives. Mike and Dave are welcoming donations through a YouCaring site and would greatly appreciate your help, if you are able to extend it. All funds collected will be given to three terrific organizations that have made a difference for their loved ones. In other words, the recipients (Didi Hirsch Mental Health Services, Hope4Utah, and the National Alliance on Mental Illness - Santa Clara County) have been tried, tested, and found worthy of the help they will receive and pass on to others.

It all begins on Thursday, when they board the plane. I hope you will visit often and follow along with Dave and Mike on their Camino de Santiago pilgrimage. I think it's going to be both inspirational and entertaining...
As you can see, Mike is more than prepared!
;)

1 comment: