Thursday, May 25, 2017

Day 17 – Headed for Hornillos

Back on the Camino at 7:30 AM today –  
a little early, to beat the 90-degree afternoon.

Dave, heading out this morning on the Camino.
He's about to pass by the beautiful cathedral.

Coming up on the Catedral de Burgos –
No whining yet about his blister. 

Wow. So beautiful in the rising sunlight.
And Dave still on the Camino!

Lots of storks here. They love to be on top
of buildings and most anything else they see.

We continue to weave our way out of Burgos, 
strutting our new meseta hats to block the sun
a little better in the heat of day.

Stopping in a field of red poppies in Tardajos.
We've gone about 8 miles, and Dave is hanging
in like a champ. Blister seems to be mostly okay.

Map of the Camino, with Dave pointing to
where we are right now. Not bad!

A closer view for the truly curious. 
(Cropped by Mike for detail.) Guy's got skills!

Stork on a steepled church in Tardajos.

Just arrived in Rabe de las Calzadas – 
moving right along. Dave is hanging in, 
with no major pain from his blister.

Mikey stops to smell the roses. Life is good.

A little cemetery church, leaving Rabe de las Calzadas.

Sheep on the trail over to Hornillas,
our destination for the day.

Getting ready to begin the steep downhill
path into Hornillas del Camino.

We made really good time today
and only ran one stop sign.

These are the legs Lynna fell in love with.

Dave made it! What a trooper with that sore foot.
He said it felt okay today.

We rewarded ourselves with eggs and fries
before checking into our hotel.

I documented Dave entering every village as
proof of his dedication and perseverance. 

Patience and perseverance have a magical
effect before which difficulties disappear
and obstacles vanish.  – John Quincy Adams


Lynna's story, as told to her on the Camino years ago:   
The poppy's head is large and heavy, so it hangs down. On its own, the poppy cannot lift its head; but when the sun rises, the poppy's head rises with it. Because of the sun's light, every poppy becomes straight and able to dance in the wind. When the sun goes down, the poppy's head falls down as before. The dance stops, waiting for the sun to make all things possible again. Lynna reminds us that this little story about the sun and poppies is equally true for the Son and ourselves. With Him we rise, not only every day, but forever.

Dave's story, which he has named "Rocky Road":
Everything on this trip so far has been great, except that I hit a rough patch in the road by getting a pretty painful blister. The Camino is full of people with blisters and other physical issues, but so far it's been someone else and not me. Now it's my challenge to overcome this rocky road, just like many things on the Camino. Hopefully, the coming days will find me able to continue...and with any luck at all, the next rocky road I encounter will be served from a gallon carton! 

Footnote:  Today, things went well for me. When I took off the dressing this morning and the fluid had not returned, I decided to walk. I used my sandals for all 13 miles, and they were great. I also put new bandages on, checking them regularly. We set a slower pace for the trip than usual and stopped often to rest. The roads and paths were in good shape, which helped as well. Thanks to all of you for your prayers and support in my behalf. Buen Camino!

Mike's story:
Well, I did great today, too. I had a good friend I worried about all day. We walked at a perfect pace and paid attention to our bodies, stopping often. We left an hour earlier and still got to our destination by 2:00 PM. As I mentioned above, I documented Dave entering every town so we would always have proof of his dedication and perseverance. Dave never once complained or whined or cried out for Sue. He just carried on like a pure-stock pioneer. Of course, I made my sacrifices, too. I was forced to consume several orange Fantas and a number of pecan ice cream bars as I paused to watch over my friend. It was not easy, but I prevailed.

What a devoted friend Mike is!

Next thing you know he'll be 
choking down Snicker's bars
to help Dave out. Truly selfless.

Click below to support suicide prevention
and mental health, the causes Mike and Dave 
are supporting with their walk.

1 comment: