Sunday, May 28, 2017

Day 20 – Carrying on to Carrion

David, an English postmaster, is traveling alone.
He has joined us for dinner most nights this week.

Another new friend is Heather, from Vancouver.
She is sketching her way across the Camino.

Here is an example of her work. Awesome!
We will post it as our final picture of Fromista.

Only 11.8 miles to Carrion de los Condes, our
next goal. Signature red poppies along the way.

Dave spotted this Indian statue at our Fromista hotel 
last night, a tad out-of-step with usual Camino decor.
Hello, Spain doesn't even have Indians!

This morning, we pass an Indian 
encampment along the way. Huh?
(Dave having a slight case of
 historical pilgrimage dissonance.)

Makes us wonder if our next sighting 
on the Camino will be Snow White 
and the Seven Dwarves!
(We'll keep ya posted.)

Stone bridge, leaving Poblacion de Campos
and heading on to a long, straight path...

...with Dave on it.

At Villalcazar de Sirga, a live interview with Dave.
(Listen to it. Dave is deep.)

 
Enjoying this field of bright poppies, peeking
 their scarlet heads up above the wheat.

Fun statue of St. James in Revenga de Campos.

St. James again, with his two councilors.

St. James and his statue are presiding over a
nice little plaza with sycamore trees. 
(more on the trees later) 

The sycamore trees are trimmed so the branches
will join together and add strength to one another.

Thee trees give a wonderful feel to the Plaza.

Dave and Mike: two seasoned peregrinos.
(pilgrims, not mineral water)

Big stork's nest, with a couple in residence.
The nests weigh over 1,000 pounds, and
look a lot more impressive in person.
Mike speculates they are generations old.

 Crosses abound along the Camino.

A happy man, fly-fishing on the Rio Carrion.

Cute friends from Vermont, Rhain and Nick.
Mike and Rhain have a shared interest!
Who knew?   (story tomorrow)

Lighting a candle - Carrion's Santa Maria Church.
Dave lit one, too.

 Bridge over not-so-troubled waters of Rio Carrion.

Santa Maria Church in Carrion held a mass
with a blessing and a special star for pilgrims.
Singer sounds a bit nasally, but
his heart's in the right place.

Tomorrow night, we will pass the halfway point 
of our 482-mile walk on the Camino de Santiago.
Buen Camino, friends!


A story from Dave:
It's Sunday, which seems a perfect time to send love and good wishes to the two families I "home teach." (Being a home teacher means, among Mormons, that I am assigned to watch over, serve, and visit these wonderful people on a regular basis.) Below are the two rocks I carry for them. I am happy to think of their family members as I walk. I trust you won't mind if I write a brief note to them here: 

Dear Robinsons and Taylors:
Hello from Spain. Hope your Sabbath day has been a warm, peaceful one. I carried rocks with your family names on them today, thinking of you all as I walked. In many of the plazas we visit, the sycamore trees are carefully pruned so the branches form a continuous structure around the square. There is great strength gained, as each tree has some support from the others; and their beauty is enhanced as this unending line of tree branches encircles the plaza. Every evening, all the families flock to the area to play and enjoy each other's company. As I watch the families gather tonight on the plaza, I am reminded of your great families, knit together like the sycamore trees. Strong and beautiful. I miss being wth you in your home to visit this day. Hope all is well, and may the Lord bless you and your loved ones. 


 

A story from Mike with a prelude from Sue:
Sue: Dave told me Mike had given away a pair of his shoes recently. I asked Mike for the story, and he felt it was no big deal. I kinda thought it was, so I pushed for details.

Mike: No story, I just wasn't wearing them. I trade between two shoes, which I wear three consecutive days and then trade back and forth. The other pair I use are softer than I want for the trail, so I wear them when I get in from the hike, as they are more gentle on my feet. I had no use for the sandals, so I left them at the albergue in hopes that a pilgrim could use them. We find all levels of pilgrims, from those having very, very little to those who have more than they need. For instance, Dave gave a sandwich from our breakfast package to a pilgrim with few resources, and it was greatly appreciated. You just develop a desire to help where you can on the Camino. It comes naturally. 

Click below to support suicide prevention
and mental health, the causes Mike and Dave 
are championing with their walk.

2 comments:

  1. I love the sycamore trees. I hope my family and I will be knit together, in the gospel and love for each other, as these trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been journeying through your blog with you and have now reached the halfway point. Thank you for the time it took to put this inspiring journal together. It lifts me and helps me remember the joy of our Camino 2 years ago after returning from our humanitarian mission to Perú.
    My favorite photo so far is the Sun breaking through the clouds over the bridge at Población de Campos - truly breathtaking! (You really should turn it into a poster)!
    Your friend and cousin,
    Marshall

    ReplyDelete