Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Day 8 – Bound for Viana

Corn flakes and bananas for breakfast.
We took off at 8:30 AM with 11.2 miles to travel.

A bit of a late start for us, so we walked a while 
before taking photos. A cute Italian girl shot this one.

Our first town, Sansol, was 4.5 miles away, 
an especially pleasant trail to walk.

Dave, looking up at the 13th century village.

This lovely old building and historical treasure is
the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.

Inside, it is small and peaceful.

Mike, writing about little Max in the book at this
Knights Templar chapel. I did some writing, too.
(Dave)

First and back page of the brochure.
The building was constructed in the 12th century.

Inside of the brochure. This church has been called a 
"pilgrim's beacon" and a "dead man's lantern."
I think I like pilgrim's beacon better. (Sue)

Yet another wheat field with a few poppies. So beautiful.

We came upon this church, where a group of people
were singing hymns. It was heavenly.

Stopped for a water break. Enjoyed bread, cheese, and
bananas. Before long, a few Camino friends arrived.
Chatting with them is a big part of this experience.

Mike looking svelte as he sucks in his stomach
to justify all those snacks on the road to Viana.
(Dave)

Our destination is in the distance. We are more tired
than usual, lots of heat and constant ups and downs.

Future motorcycle gang – Viana's Angels.

Tomorrow, we set our sights on Logrono,
renowned for its medieval architecture.
It will be our shortest walk, only 6.2 miles.

A Story from Dave:
          The old church in Viana (below, left) is closed for renovation. As we approached, many people were out front talking. A number of them had already walked to the side and were out of view by the time I snapped this picture, but you get the idea. Curious, we asked why they were there. Was the church opening? They answered that a townsperson had died today, and people had spontaneously gathered at the church to reminisce and honor their departed friend. 
          In this Plaza (below, right) there is no need for Facebook or texting. People gather every evening and talk...an old-fashioned tradition that ought to come back. I think we have forgotten what we are missing, and now is a good time to remember.


Two sides of the same story:
          Dave: Another example of Mike's compassion – Mike saw this woman (below) limping badly. He went after her to see if he could help. She was with two other women from Connecticut. By the time I got out there, she was thanking Mike for his kindness and asked for a hug. I quickly grabbed my phone and captured the moment. She said, "God bless you, Mike." Mike can tell you what they said to each other, but you could feel how much she appreciated his concern.
          Mike: I noticed a lady limping out of the restaurant tonight. She twisted her knee on today's walk and was in a lot of pain. She had found some ibuprofen ointment to apply, which will hopefully make it better. She has traveled the Camino before, but this time two friends have joined her. She was kind of a soft, tender person and seemed very spiritual. We talked about how well that medicine works and brainstormed some route adjustments she could make until things get easier. Before heading off to the albergue, she wanted a hug, a "spiritual wrap." She clenched my hand and just squeezed us together. It appeared to me that she very clearly said a prayer, which prompted me to do the same. I offered up the one I have said to Heavenly Father for the last two mornings, asking for his protection and strength for my knee. It had been giving me some difficulty just before I left for Spain. I felt great peace for her tomorrows, as well as ours. 


A sign of love on the Camino.

Click below to support mental health services
and read more about the cause Mike and Dave 
are supporting with their walk.

2 comments:

  1. I love these spiritual encounters. Heavenly Father knows when and where to place people. I love following Bishop and Mike's adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they will love reading your comment and knowing you are following along. Thanks, Clarissa! (I love their stories, too.)

      Delete